I hope everyone is having a great week so far!
Now you have decided to make the change to a healthier lifestyle you can see the potential benefits are endless. However there can be some times when it is hard to stick to your new food choices, travelling either by plane, or a long car journey. These moments can be tiring and the foods available can be questionable. Working late either at home or the office can leave you feeling tired and craving something like a chocolate bar or biscuit and then there is the mid afternoon slump that can leave you reaching for a coffee and some cake to restore energy levels and focus.
There are a number of healthy snack choices available to you, when you need a quick fix, which will help keep you satisfied and away from the naughties!
Here are my top ten healthy snack choices taken from my book Joshi’s Holistic Life Plan.
* Rice cakes – load them with yoghurt dips, smoked salmon, almond or cashew butter or use them instead of bread for “sandwiches”. If you find them too thick, try those designed for babies, thinner and more dainty.
* Gluten free oatcakes-nutty and delicious topped with sheep’s cheese or grilled vegetables with a sprinkling of herbed goats cheese.
* Hummus-Great for dipping, home made is best (see recipe for details)
* Guacamole-Another fabulous dip or topping. Again, home made is streets ahead of the shop bought stuff. Try our recipe or try the recipe for the “Top Shelf Gaucamole” from Cantina Laredo (http://www.cantinalaredo.co.uk)
* Chopped carrots, celery, cauliflower and mange tout to dip into hummus, or fat free yoghurt with chopped chives, or crunch alone.
* Nuts and Seeds- Walnuts, pecans, almonds, Brazils, sunflower, linseed, pumpkin, flax seeds. Packed with proteins and anti-oxidants and “good” fats (see recipe below)
* Ripe fresh fruit- bananas, blueberries, apples etc. Ensure they are naturally ripened, organic and preferably in season.
* Organic dried fruits-raisins, sultanas, prunes, currants, apricots, mango, pineapple etc. But make sure they don’t have added sugar which can be disguised as raw cane sugar!!
* Falafel-Delicious Middle Eastern chickpea patties.
The trick is to plan ahead, and make sure that you the foods and snacks readily available, in your fridge, kitchen, desk at the office and bag.
Remember plenty of fresh filtered water throughout the day. Tiredness can also be a sign that you are dehydrated. Teas, coffees and juices don’t count as part of your daily quota!
Have a great week and stay healthy!